CATALYST is about providing the spark needed to bring great ideas, compelling speakers, innovative and often provocative thinking and creativity to the Wakatipu basin and beyond. It’s about making Queenstown a place to come for mental as well as adrenal challenge. It’s about upping the ante on stuff that matters.
CATALYST will work on a number of levels:
- Instigating events around visiting speakers — respected New Zealand and international leaders in their fields — and providing ongoing discussions/forums;
- Providing an information portal, an early warning system to communicate similar events happening in the region;
- Developing a Festival of Ideas;
- Creating a CATALYST community encouraging the exchange of information;
- Facilitating and/or supporting science/education/arts conferences and events;
- Supporting youth and outstanding individuals with intellectual and cultural pursuits;
- Working alongside New Zealand Universities and national and international institutes to provide outreach of research and innovation, and satellite bases in Queenstown;
- Long term, encouraging the establishment of an Aspen Institute-like entity in Queenstown;
- And helping Queenstown move towards becoming South Pacific’s “Davos Downunder” – a place for global thought leadership, think tanks and forums.
Queenstown is renowned for innovation, entrepreneurship and creative pursuits. It is home to a community rich in leaders of business, academia and the arts. Many of our visitors embody and aspire to these same ideals.
Catalyst will target this essence — the energy, creativity and challenge to move forward — by offering its audience opportunities to learn about, interact and explore options around the issues that affect the future of us all.
In October 2016, Catalyst was delighted to win the Supreme Award at the Trustpower Queenstown Lakes District Community Awards. We thank our community for its support, as well as the very many organisations and individuals who have contributed their time, resources and passion to Catalyst events, sharing our commitment to informing and challenging minds and provoking discussion about local issues and beyond.