- Trump on Thin Ice … Fresh Hope for Climate Change? on 02/07/2017 5:00 pm
- The Politics of International Immigration and Refugees on 04/07/2017 5:30 pm
- What’s Going On and What’s Next in the Middle East? on 13/07/2017 6:00 pm
- “Queenstown Town Centre – Unlocking our Potential” Pecha Kucha Night Queenstown – Vol 8 on 20/07/2017 6:00 pm
- Something in the Water on 08/08/2017 7:00 pm
- Brexit, Trump and the Rise of Post-Truth Populism on 27/08/2017 7:00 pm
2017 begins with heavy hitting speakers and issues, including the first Nobel Laureate to speak in Queenstown and former Prime Minister Sir Geoffrey Palmer proposing a new New Zealand Constitution. Next, collaborations with the AMN8 conference and e-Research conference deliver science public talks and school outreach events in February.
In autumn, in partnership with Jigsaw Central Lakes, we present a panel discussion of experts to bring light to the largely hidden and ignored topic of family and sexual violence. Throughout the year, we’ll have other terrific speakers to feed your mind – details to be announced closer to the time.
inSight: a sneak peak into our future makes a welcome return in September with a bigger, brighter outreach programme that brings outside experts and resources into our community. For schools across the district, inSight will be the culmination of their collaboration throughout the year, with presentations, projects, busking and speakers coming together in a celebration of science and futures thinking.
Queenstown Film Society screens an engaging array of films. Their 2017 season kicks off on May 2 with screenings on Tuesdays at 8.15pm at Dorothy Browns Cinema in Arrowtown. Their website and Facebook Page have all the details for the upcoming films.
Queenstown has a very active U3A group, offering weekly lectures on Monday mornings for most of the year except winter. Please visit their website at www.u3awakatipu.org.nz for programme and location details.